container planting - Knowledgebase Question

beavercreek, oh
Question by mcjemco
I would like to plant some 5 ft arborvitaes in boxes on my deck to provide a privacy screen from my neighbors. (the deck is 6 ft off the ground or i would plant them in the ground). How big of boxes would I need, are there any special requirements (gravel, sand, etc)? What kind of spacing would I need? I live in lower Ohio, so would the plants survive the winter in boxes, or would I be wasting my money and only get the summer out of them? thanks for your help!!

Plants in containers are more vulnerable to cold weather because their roots are above ground. I would highly recommend you plant directly in the ground. If you grow Thuja 'pyramidalis', which is a tall, narrow arborvitae, it will grow up to about 30' in height yet remain only 2-3' in width. Choosing these plants, you can plant them on 4 or 5' centers for a dense hedge which will provide lots of privacy.

Good luck with your plantings!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"