Columbines - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, CO (Zone 5A)
Question by estes143
My Columbines are beautiful but by mid summer they have taken over my flower bed. Is there a way I can cut them back? I tried last year but they just came back with a vengence.

0

Columbines tend to reseed themselves. If you can cut off the spent flowers before they set seed, you'll be able to control them to a large degree. It might be time to dig the bed and replant only those columbines that you'd like to keep. Digging the bed will help bury most of the existing seeds from prior years. You might also watch the bed for new seedlings and pull them up as they appear. I love columbines, but too much is too much! Best wishes with your garden!