What Kind Of Shrubs? - Knowledgebase Question

Buffalo, NY (Zone 5B)
Question by dardar1020
The sun shines down on the front of my house from morning till dusk. I'd like to plant a shrub on each side(that doesn't grow more than three feet)in the two front corners next to my front stairs. I'd then like to plant annuals next to and in front of shrubs. Can you please advise me as to what would be the best kind of shrub to buy that would last through my winters?

Thank you.

0

For a small shrub you might look at boxwood, a very slow growing evergreen. Or you might consider dwarf Alberta spruce which is slow growing but would need to be pruned to stay that small. You could also use yews, however they too would require pruning to stay that size. Of the three, the yews would be the most reliable and easiest to grow. Another option although deciduous might be the naturally smaller summer blooming spireas. Your local nursery staff may also have some suggestions.