Planting a flowering tree - Knowledgebase Question

Capon Bridge, wv
Question by angelawolfo
What type of flowering tree can I plant close to my house with distrubing my foundation?

0

Generally speaking, even small trees will be far too large to be planted close to your house. Trees send their roots out at least wide if not wider than their branches, and they need ample room to grow and mature. A possible exception might be one of the smaller cultivars of crab apple. They do need full sun to grow and bloom well. A medium or large shrub would probably be a better choice. The Hydrangea paniculata or PeeGee hydrangea can be maintained as a multistemmed shrub form or it can be trained like a small multi-trunked tree. It can be pruned if required to direct its shape or control size, but should mature to a manageable size in that spot. Pruning of this type of hydrangea is done in early spring as it is a summer bloomer and blooms on new growth of the year. This hydrangea is very winter hardy and should do well in your zone; it does best in a sunny location or in half day sun. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"