Flowering Shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

St. Augustine, FL
Question by roberthengst
I am looking to plant 10 different flowering shrubs along the west side of my house. Can you recommend shrubs that will thrive in this area and flower most of the spring-summer-fall? Today I went to Home Depot and bought 2 - Allamanda and Dipladenia. When I got home I read their info carefully and noted they were hardy only to 30-40 degrees. Here in St. Augustine we get occasional nights where the temp drops into the 20s. Will they be allright, or should I take them back?

0

Bob,

Cold is always a risk with many of of the best landscape plants. Those two plants are going to be very risky when temps drop to below freezing. You can cover them but it is no guarantee if temps drop to the 20's. They are considered worth growing however even if only as a warm season plant.

Flowering shrubs that will be dependably hardy for you include for part sun to shade gardenia, camellia, azalea and hydrangea, and for full sun Knock Out rose (a disease proof shrub type rose), yellow bells (dies to ground and returns in spring), and buddleja.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"