Peach Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Pomona, Ca
Question by psimalwaysin
Every year my peaches have worms in them. How do I prevent this from happening again?

0

If your tree also shows the following symptoms, the problem is most likely damage from Peach Twig Borer. These pests cause young shoots to die back several inches from the tips, and small worms with dark brown bands may be found inside each affected shoot. Ripening fruit is infested with worms, particularly near the stem end. When they first hatch, twig borer caterpillars are dirty white or light brown with a black head. The head remains black, but the body turns chocolate brown as the caterpillar grows and the white portions between each body segment give the appearance of bands. Mature caterpillars do not grow much larger than 1/2 inch. The best defense for next year's peach crop is to remove and destroy any shoots that contain worms. Begin inspecting your tree in the spring, and throughout the growing season, checking the trees for wormy shoot tips and wormy fruit. Be sure to remove and destroy any wormy fruit and shoot tips that you find now, so the pests won't be able to winter over and infect your tree again.