spring freeze - Knowledgebase Question

Del City, ok
Question by busarider_1
How do I protect my hostas from this spring freeze? Do I cover them and with what?

0

Probably the best insulating material is compost. Failing that, pine needles, shredded leaves or even peat moss can be used to temporarily shield your hosta leaves from a late frost. Simply pile the organic matter over the tops of the plants to protect them from overnight frost. In the morning, brush the insulation off the foliage, but leave it in the garden. If frost threatens the next night, simply pile the organic matter over the plants again. After the threat of frost is over for the season you can spread the organic matter around in the garden.

Best wishes with your hostas!