Foundation planting - Knowledgebase Question

Suffolk, VA
Question by laarni_campb
Hello!

My mother-in-law asked me to help her find a vertical foundation planting to replace the dead ones she just got rid of. What would be a suitable plant for Bloomington, IN 47401?

This service rocks!

Thanks,
Laarni Campbell

0

The best choices would depend on which way the house is facing, if it is sunny or shady there, if it is particularly wet or dry there, and the space available in terms of how high and how wide the plants can be. You might look into evergreens such as yews for a clipped, formal look; smaller maturing varieties of Pieris japonica for a flowering evergreen; or perhaps golden barberry for a smaller growing deciduous plant that can be shaped as needed. Her local county extension and local nurseryman may also have suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the planting site and her design goals.