Growing vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Chatham, AL
Question by smythkm
I'm starting my first garden and don't know what vegetables need what degree of shade. I'm planning on growing carrots, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, peas, sunflowers, cucumbers, and maybe some fruits like strawberries and raspberries. The garden is beside a tree for shade, and I would like to know what vegetables would I need to put closer to the tree.

0

Most vegetable gardens should be situated so they receive full sunshine all summer long. Tomatoes, sunflowers, potatoes, cucumbers and strawberries require 8-10 hours of direct sunlight each day. Beans and peas can grow in slightly less sunshine. Lettucerequires the least amount of sunshine because it doesn't have to flower and produce fruit. So, you might want to move your veggie garden to a new spot, or plant only lettuce, beans and peas in the shadiest areas.
Good luck with your new garden!