HOW TO ELIMINATE HOLLY ROOT RUNNERS - Knowledgebase Question

SAN ANGELO, TX
Question by FOXIESEA
I HAVE ESTABLISHED HOLLY BUSH SHRUBS ACROSS THE FRONT WITH A CONCRETE BARRIER SEPARATING FROM THE GRASS AREA. NOW RUNNER ROOTS ARE INVADING THE GRASS AREA. HOW CAN I GET RID OF THESE RUNNERS?

0

Carl,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

You can dig and remove them as applying a herbicide to their foliage will move back into the shrubs and cause damage. Then consider inserting some type of a vertical barrier into the soil around the bed that extends below the soil surface about 8 inches or so to prevent re-invasion of the lawn area. You might choose galvanized metal flashing or a very thick (60 mil) plastic product.