Hottest Red Pepper - Knowledgebase Question

Loveland, CO
Question by russbatz
Heard on the radio of Burpee having seeds for a pepper hotter than the habinero (sp?). Started with a "c"? Please advise.

0

You are either talking about 'Caribbean Red' or 'Chiltepin'. I have never tried 'Caribbean Red', but I do know 'Chiltepin' is EXTREMELY hot. It is also known as "Bird's Eye Pepper" because it is very tiny. Don't underestimate it though, this tiny pepper packs a wallop, it is rated at 100,000-125,000 on the Scoville scale. In case you aren't familiar with this scale, a jalapeno is rated between 3,000 and 10,000 (numbers increasing as heat intensifies). 'Caribbean Red' is a new variety, an improved version of 'Habanero' and is reportedly quite hot. I am unsure of it's Scoville rating ('Habanero' is 150,000-350,000). Both varieties are available from Burpee. You can contact them at 1-800-888-1447.