grass seed? - Knowledgebase Question

Avatar for surf1420
Question by surf1420
April 13, 2007
I was wondering what the name of the grass seed that industrial contractors use. They just spread it over the ground and it is blueish-green color. It almost looks like a powder from far away?

Answer from NGA
April 13, 2007
Landscape contractors almost always use a perennial ryegrass, fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass mixture to spray onto the ground. The greenish cast is a combination of fertilizer and organic matter (usually shredded paper) to help hold the seeds in place, keep them moist, and feed the plants after they germinate. You can purchase a similar combination in rolls at the garden center. They are essentially mats of shredded paper impregnated with grass seed and sprayed with fertilizer.

Hope this answers your question!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Tulips in various shades of red"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.