PINE TREES PROBLEMS - Knowledgebase Question

Bronx, NY (Zone 6B)
Question by PUMPKINPIE54
I HAVE TWO DWARF PINE TREES.THE PROBLEM IS THAT THEY DON'T SEEM TO DO WELL IN THE BACK.ONE HAS LOST A LOT OF NEEDLES THAT TURNED BROWN.THE OTHER JUST A LITTLE SINCE IT RECEIVES MORE SUN.THEY GET MORE SUN IN THE FRONT.CAN THIS BE THE PROBLEM?IF I REMOVED THEM AND PLANT THEM IN POTS SO I CAN TURN THEM TO GET EVEN SUN LIGHT,WOULD THAT HELP.THEY'VE BEEN IN THE GROUND FOR SOME YEARS THOUGH.

0

Pines do prefer full sun all day or for at least half the day including the noon hour. In a shady spot they will grow thin and sparse. If your pines have been in the ground for several years it will be very difficult to uproot them and plant them in containers successfully. You might want to replace them with something more shade tolerant such as yews. If the site is in morning-only sun or in dappled sun all day you might be able to grow rhododendrons there. Your local nursery professional may have additional suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the planting site and your design goals.