Promote Global Worming! - Knowledgebase Question

Milton, FL (Zone 8B)
Question by earlyranch
Is it possible to have TOO MANY redworms in a worm bin? We have purchased 3,000 worms for vermi-composting and wonder if we need to separate them at some point in time so they don't begin to feed on each other. Can we put them in our vegetable garden or compost bin outdoors, or will they leave?

0

Ruth,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. They may not survive very long in the garden but it really depends on the soil condition and moisture content. I would split them into two bins and then watch the bins to see how they are doing. They won't eat each other but a large number just means they finish up the newspaper and food in the bin faster and thus need a changeout of bedding material more often.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"