IS IT DEAD? - Knowledgebase Question

Fletcher, OK (Zone 7A)
Question by marcelagambo
WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CROTON?
I COUPLE WEEKS A GO I NOTICED IT WAS LOSING SOME OF ITS LEAVES SO I PUT IT AWAY FROM MY KIDS. I THOUGTH THEY WERE THE PROBLEM( THEY LIKE PULLING THE LEAVES).TODAY, THERE IS NO LEAVES LEFT AND THE STEMS ARE LOOKING REALLY DRY. WHAT HAPPENED?

0

Croton can be a difficult houseplant. It needs bright light, high humidity, and slightly moist but not dry soil. Temperatures should be above 60 degrees or it will drop leaves. Sometimes the shock of being moved from the grower's greenhouse to your home is enough to cause it to drop some leaves. And if it was exposed to cold on the way home from the store, that could shock it, too. Croton usually takes some time to reacclimate to the new conditions at your home. Give it up to a month to releaf, assuming it is still alive. To check that, rub your fingernail on the stem, there should be green inside the bark layer. While you are waiting for new leaves, do not fertilize it and take care not to overwater it. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"