Crepe Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Plant City, FL
Question by kferguson14
When and how do I prune my crepe myrtle?

0

Kandie,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. The best time to prune a crape myrtle is in late winter (February) prior to the start of new growth. Crape myrtles need very little pruning and most pruning is only done for the sake of the owner's aesthetic preferences. Far too many crapes are butchered with severe, "flat-top" pruning. It is better to maintain a natural form by thinning out crowded growth. Rather than leave the blunt stubs by severely flat-topping a crape, thin growth by removing a few selected branches where they join another branch. For more information check out the following web site:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu...

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"