Seed Starting - Knowledgebase Question

East Haddam, CT
Question by kwyet1
When should I start my Burpee sweetpeas & nasturtiums indoors? I read that sweetpeas could be planted outside before the last frost. Should I plan on starting the seeds soon?

0

Most gardeners start seeds indoors to get a jump-start on the growing season. This is especially useful when you're planning to grow crops that require a long season to mature. Sweetpeas are cool-season plants and the seeds don't mind germinatingin cool soils, but the seedlings do mind if you disturb their roots. So, to be on the safe side, sow your sweetpea seeds directly in the ground about two weeks before your last frost of the season. Nasturtiums are relatively tolerant of the cold, too, soyou can plant them outdoors two weeks after you've planted your sweetpeas. Or, you can start them indoors now and set them outside in about four weeks.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"