Spike type plants - Knowledgebase Question

Edina, MN
Avatar for cad2020
Question by cad2020
April 18, 2007
I was going to put pussy willow into my pots with pansies but a friend told me there is something I can PLANT that will keep growing and provide height in the center of the pot even after the panseis are gone...????do you know what it could be??

Answer from NGA
April 18, 2007
It's not clear to me exactly what you are looking for, but there are plants sold under the common name "spikes" that are used in containers for height. They have fairly thin, long arching leaves. Some are in the genus Cordyline or Dracena. There are green spikes, and there's also a reddish bronze color that is quite striking. Do a Google Images search on Cordyline container and the first page will show some examples (Cordyline australis or Cordyline terminalis Red Flash). If that isn't what you are referring to, please feel free to send another question to the Q&A site with more detail. Enjoy your container gardening!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by RootedInDirt and is called "Mediterranean Bells"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.