Transplanting Seedlings - Knowledgebase Question

Northridge, CA
Question by ebin
I have started tomatoes, peppers and eggplants indoors. It will be time to move them outside in 2 weeks. I will not be able to rototil for at least another six to eight weeks. The roots have already started to come through the peat pots. What would you suggest I do?

0

Sounds as though you've had a very wet winter! You can transplant your seedlings into 1-gallon containers and keep them on a deck or patio until your garden dries out enough to rototil. Because the plants are in peat pots, you should either cut the top part of the pot off, or bury the whole pot well below the surface of the soil in the new container. If the top of a peat pot is exposed, it has a tendency to wick the water away from the root area of a plant. Hope your garden dries out soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"