Freeze protection - Knowledgebase Question

Phillipsburg, KS (Zone 5B)
Avatar for budbrant
Question by budbrant
April 20, 2007
I have heard of a product called freeze guard to protect trees from freeze damage. Do you know where I can buy this or do you have a procuct that will do the same thing?

Answer from NGA
April 20, 2007
Unfortunately I am not familiar with any gardening product by that particular name and did not find any information about one in a quick search. But, perhaps the following will be applicable.

There are some anti-dessicant sprays that can be applied to plants to help prevent the foliage or stems from drying out during the winter and suffering winter damage as a result of that. These are most commonly used on evergreens such as rhododendrons. WiltPruf would be an example. These products are usually sold at garden centers in the fall.

With regard to winter protection especially for trees, there are a number of techniques that can be used to try to prevent frost cracking or sun scalding during the winter. (Thin barked and younger trees are most susceptible to this type of damage.) These techniques range from painting the trunk white, to using a tree wrap product of plastic or paper, to trying to shade the south side of the trunk with a board or similar measures. Sometimes too wire mesh is used to deter damage from rabbits or other rodents during the winter.

Here is some additional information about protecting trees in winter that you may find interesting. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Vals_Garden and is called "Bee and Moonfire"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.