Elephant Ear Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Kingman, AZ
Question by rmaneval
I just bought an elephant ear bulb and I'm getting conflicting comments about whether to place it in a sunny spot or shady spot. I have it in a very large pot in case it needs to be on my patio or not. Can you please help me. Smiling Thank You

0

Confusion often arises over sun exposure for southwestern gardeners because non-native plants that will take full sun elsewhere may fry in our intense sun, especially on summer afternoons. I wouldn't place your elephant ears in full sun heading into summer. I'd suggest something like the following depending on what sorts of exposure choices you have: dappled light beneath a tree canopy, morning (eastern) sun with shade in the afternoon, or bright indirect light beneath a patio overhang or near a front door alcove. Moving it around until you find the best location is a good idea. Good luck with your elephant ears!