Hosta Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Searcy, AR
Question by ecoleenmcc
I have just purchased my second encyclopedia on Gardening. The latest one was the Victory Garden. It tells how you can start hostas from seeds. I have been to the local nursery and they say that can not be done because they are bulbs. But I have checked into other books and find that they can in deed be started from seeds. Where can I find some, if they can be started from seeds?

0

With all due respect to your nursery person, hosta can absolutely be grown from seed. I have a garden full of 'Francis Williams' and 'August Moon' to prove it. Now, it does require patience, it takes about 5 years to get a substantial plant. But impossible...no way. I harvested seed from a friend's hosta after the blooms had gone to seed. If you would like to purchase hosta seed it is available from SBE Exotic Seed at
http://www.seedman.com/seedban...

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"