LAWN FERTILIZER - Knowledgebase Question

Marlborough, MA (Zone 6A)
Question by KCHER
I RECENTLY BOUGHT HOUSE AND AM TRYING TO GET THE LAWN NICE AND HEALTHY. IN THE FALL THERE WAS QUITE A BIT OF GRASS, BUT NOW IT ALL LOOKS DRIED UP AND DEAD. OVER THE WEEKEND WE RAKE UP A BUNCH OF PINE NEEDLES THAT HAD FALLEN AND PRETTY MUCH COVERED THE YARD. I KNOW I PROBABLY HAVE TO NEUTRALIZE THE SOIL BUT HOW?? AND WHAT SHOULD I USE FOR A FERTILIZER?

0

Grass needs full sun all day long to grow well, so if the area is shady from the pine trees then that may be a big contributing factor in the sparse lawn. The poor grass could be due to fertility issues, an acidic pH, and/or possibly due to shade and pine tree roots stealing moisture from the soil. The first thing to do is run some basic soil tests to check the fertility to see how much you need to fertilize, and also to check the pH to see if you need to lime and if so, how much. There is no way to tell without testing the soil. In general a slow release fertilizer is better, however you can also use a general purpose granular fertilizer. Always read and carefully follow the label directions for use.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"