roses and daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
Hello... Since we had this terrible spring weather, my rose bushes look all dead on top. There are signs of life at the bottom. Should I trim off the branches way down to near the ground or just off a few inches?
My daffodils are healthy, but don't seem to spread like some peoples. They

0

At this point, I'd wait to see what your roses do before making any drastic pruning cuts. The branch tips will probably be the only things that need to be cut off. Give your roses another 2-3 weeks to recover from the late frost. As soon as you're certain the remaining stems will not bud out, remove them down to where new growth has begun.

As for your daffodils, it sometimes takes several years for them to naturalize. Be sure to leave the foliage alone until it dies down naturally. The leaves transport energy to the bulbs for the following year's floral display plus the extra energy a bulb needs to develop offsets.

Best wishes with your garden!