Setting up a drip system for - Knowledgebase Question

Temple City, Ca
Avatar for tomgray2
Question by tomgray2
April 25, 2007
After checking at local Home Depot garden center couldn't find someone to ask about the basic requirements for setting up a drip system. Does the drip system require some kind of timer between the outside faucet to the 1/2 inch drip hose?

Answer from NGA
April 25, 2007
A mechanical or electronic timer to turn the water on and off is not necessary, but they are convenient. It's really up to you. If you can be there (or remember to) turn the water off and on, a timer isn't necessary. What you will need are the following components for your system:

Backflow preventer - or anti-siphon device is required to prevent water from the system re-entering your water supply when the system is turned off. Backflow prevention devices are required in most areas.

Pressure regulator - or pressure reducer. The typical home water supply has too much pressure. If the pressure is over 50 psi, you will need a pressure regulator.

Hose fitting - connects the tubing to the pressure regulator.

Tubing - 1/2, 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, or .710 depending on the needs and manufacturer. Used for the main supply line and smaller lines for individual plants and containers. Tubing is usually made from black polyethylene. The smaller "microtubes" can be used in tight spaces and are easily disguised.

Fittings -
Straight - used to connect one section of tubing to another
Elbow - to allow right angle turns
Tee - fittings are used to split the direction
End fitting/figure eight - closes the system at the end of the line

Emitters - available with different flow rates to accommodate the needs of the plant. Located at soil level or elevated on stakes or risers. There are several types, choose based on where you want the water to go. All are rated by their GPH delivery.
Bubblers - often used for trees and shrubs - deliver more water in less time
Dripper - slow, low quantity delivery right at the root system.
Mister - provides humidity

Hole punch - used to make insertion points in the tubing where emitter are located
Goof plugs - securely stop up the hole you punched by mistake (or allow you to move an emitter without replacing the tubing)
Barbed Adapter - used to connect tubing and emitters
Riser - allows emitters to be placed above the plants
Stakes - secure with stakes to elevate ? prevent clogging by soil or bugs

Hope this information helps you design an efficient drip system for your landscape.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by adknative and is called "Baby Blue Eyes"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.