roses, aphids - Knowledgebase Question

Tenino, WA
Question by berrycute3
Last month I had noticed that two of my rose bushes we planted last mothers day were full of aphids. Wondering what other types of plants/flowers to plant around 4 rose bushes that will deter aphids or other solutions rather than using pesticides. The 4 roses I have are Sheila's perfume (cv Harsherry)floribunda, Sunsprite (cv CORresia), Climbing Blaze, and a Pascali (hybrid tea rose). Thank you in advance for the help

0

Chives, onions, garlic, borage and marigolds are said to deter aphids. You might also try having lots of colorful daisy-like plants in your garden to attract beneficial ladybugs (their young love feasting on aphids). You can hose the aphids off with a strong stream of water (several times a day if necessary). Finally, Insecticidal Soap is quite efficient at killing aphids but it doesn't harm other, more beneficial insects. Insecticidal Soap is made from the fatty acids of certain plants so it's not one of those strong artificial pesticides. You might want to give it a try.

Best wishes with your roses!