Daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

Golden, Co
Question by jfwalter
My daffodils this year, along with everyone else's that I know, had plenty of leaves but VER FEW blooms this year. Just wondering why?

0

This is fairly unusual, because daffodils are normally quite dependable and trouble free. Very dry soil can cause the problem, and sometimes buds that are exposed to extremely cold weather, such as during wildly fluctuating spring weather, can fail. Another possible cause is excessively hot weather during the bloom time. Sometimes, if the daffodils are not planted deep enough, the flower can be damaged inside the bulb due to temperature extremes. I'm sure you know to leave the foliage alone until it dries out on its own. The leaves manufacture and transport energy to the bulbs for next year's flower display. I expect this is an unusual occurance and that they will flower for you right on schedule next spring.

Best wishes with your garden!