When to plant leeks - Knowledgebase Question

Manchester Center, Vt
Question by heidiandchri
When can I plant my leeks? They are about 2 inches high. When we bought them, there were of a few clumped together-do I try to pull them apart? If the nights here are too cold to plant, could I plant them and then cover them every night?

Thanks

0

Leeks are cold tolerant and can go outdoors about mid-May in your region. Plant leek transplants two inches apart in rows 18 inches apart. Then push soil around the edge up to the first leaf notch to blanch or whiten the stems. Or plant leek transplants into trenches three to four inches deep. As the leeks grow taller, fill in the trenches in stages until the trenches are completely filled in.

You should be able to divide the clumps by setting the entire clump in a bowl of water and easing them apart. Then replant in potting soil, in individual pots.

Best wishes with your leeks!