bird feeders - Knowledgebase Question

Kingston, PA (Zone 5B)
Question by adpc
i would like to put out bird feeders, but the last time i tried i got skunks stinking up my house every night.
any suggestions?

0

I suspect the skunks would have been gobbling up spilled birdseed -- although they actually would prefer to eat insects and small rodents when they can. To reduce the amount of spilled seed, use only the types of seed the birds in your yard would eat. For example, very few eat millet and that is used as a filler in many mixes, so lots of millet ends up on the ground. Your cost per bag will likely go up, but you will lose much less to waste. Also, place the feeder above a spot that can be easily swept clean of any spilled seed, or set a tarp beneath it and shake out the tarp every evening. Those steps should help. And, here is more information about skunks you may find helpful if they are in your yard.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/carn...