Vegetable& Fruit balcony - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, TX (Zone 8B)
Question by ralphnrose1
I want to grow vegetables and fruits on my balcony,I live in an apartment complex.I'd like to plant in hanging pots or pots that I can maintain easily.Is it possible?

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Fruit would be tough to do in containers on a balcony except for satsumas, kumquats, Key lime and Meyer Orange. Give them a large container such as a half whiskey barrel.

See the following web site for more info:

You can grow vegetables on a balcony. The key is to choose containers with a volume of about 5 gallons or more for most vegetables so there is plenty of soil for roots to grow in. The following web sites provide more helpful information on growing in containers.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"