gardenia yellow leaves - Knowledgebase Question

granby, ct
Question by jam8637761
I bought a gardenia plant and the leaves are starting to get yellow. I tried to look it up and had no luck. Is it because of not enough water ?

0

Gardenias grow outdoors in mild climates, and as an indoor houseplant in other areas of the country. If yours is outdoors, place it in a spot that will be shaded from hot afternoon summer sunshine. If it's indoors, give it bright light, but not direct afternoon sunshine. In order to bloom, your plant needs a nighttime temperature of 60F - 65F degrees and a daytime temperature about 10 degrees warmer. Without an even temperature and careful watering, gardenias will drop their flower buds while they're still unopened. Keep the soil moist using tepid, soft water, and mist the plant every day to keep the plant happy. It's natural for the older leaves of gardenias to turn yellow and drop off. New leaves will grow in their places. To keep your plant tidy, and to encourage new growth, pinch back the growing tips of the stems. Gardenias don't like to be repotted more often than every 2-3 years. Do so in the spring, using a good commercial potting soil, and putting the plant in a new pot that's only slightly larger than the old one.

Best wishes with your gardenia.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"