Slow Growing Vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Roanoke, TX
Question by jrfraz
We have tried for several years to get a successful vegetable garden. The plants seem to be slow growing, and the heat withers the plants just as they start producing. They have been fertilized ever two weeks and watered almost daily. What kind of veggies would do best in my area?

0

Just about all soils benefit from the addition of organic matter--compost, well-rotted manure, leaves, grass clippings, etc. Adding organic matter will go a long way in improving your soil's water-holding capacity. If you have sandy soil, the water you apply may be running right through. (I would caution you to avoid overwatering--wilting can be a sign of root damage caused by overwatering. Check the soil before watering to make sure it needs it, and try to water deeply just once or twice a week, rather than every day.)

With vegetables it isn't so much as matter of which can
be grown in different climates, but the timing of planting. For example, you can grow lettuce in zone 2 to 10, but in zone 2 you'd be planting it in early summer, while zone 10 it is a winter crop. Same for other cool season crops such as broccoli and cabbage. Warm season crops such as tomatoes and melons are planted a little later.

A great website that can help you with planting information in your stateis from Texas A & M University. It's listed below.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu...

Also, consider having a soil test done, to determine your soil's pH, nutrient levels, etc. Your Cooperative Extension Service can provide you with information about soil testing.