How to prepare soil/lay sod - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, TX
Question by megan_galici
I'd like to replace some areas of dead grass in my lawn with sod. What should I do to prepare the soil? Any special tips for laying down the sod?
Thanks!

0

Megan,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Rake the area to loosen the soil surface and remove any debris. Then lay the sod and walk on it to press it down for good contact with the soil. Water lightly but daily for a few days and then every other day for a few more days to get it off to a good start. Gradually wean it off to a weekly watering.