Grow tomatoes in pots - Knowledgebase Question

Pasadena, ca
Question by gargi
Hi,
I am remodelling our house and the construction workers are going to be all around the yard. I am very excited to start my garden. I am planting just 2-3 tomatoe plants and some herbs Do you think I could plant my tomatoes in pots?
Gargi

0

Yes, you can grow your tomatoes and herbs in containers. I've found that the larger the container, the better. A cherry tomato will grow in a hanging basket, and a standard tomato can be grown in a five gallon container or a half whiskey barrel planter. An oversized windowbox can hold several basil plants along with a clump of chives and some cilantro. These plants (and perhaps a parsley plant or two) would also do well in a half barrel along with a tomato plant because they all like a rich soil that is evenly moist yet not soggy.

Best wishes with your garden!