Bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Tracy, ca
Question by sskaggs_2000
What is the best to put on veg and fruit bushes or tree that are getting eaten up by bugs. The leaves have tons of little holes in the middle the whole leaf etc...

Also, I like I just found a red ant mound in our backyard what is the best way to get rid of them?

Thank you!

0

A healthy garden should have lots of insect activity. Some insects are beneficial and some are destructive. But, without insects to pollinate the flowers, you won't get fruit or vegetables. Instead of using sprays on everything, why not put up with some leaf damage so you can have healthy fruits and veggies? I'm afraid that if you blanket everything with a pesticide, you'll kill off the pollinating bees. As your garden grows you can spend some time out with the plants, inspecting the leaves and the stems and the flowers. If you find specific insects, you can control them by either picking them off or hosing them off the plants. If it's an especially destructive insect, such as a population of squash vine borers, you can resort to chemical control.

There are several ways to get rid of the ant mound: Dursban, Diazinon, Baygon, carbaryl (Sevin), and bendiocarb (Ficam) will kill ants. Be sure to apply according to label directions!