Sage Bush - either Texas Sage or Silverado - Knowledgebase Question

Broken Arrow, OK
Question by tmommarshall
I purchased 2 sage bushes last fall, I can't remember if they are Silverado Sage or Texas Sage. Now that its spring they do not have any leaves. Do I need to wait until it warms up before they start sprouting or have I lost my shrubs?

0

According to your zip code, you are gardening in USDA winter hardiness zone 6. Unfortunately, Texas sage or Leucophyllum frutescens is only considered winter hardy into zone 7. "Silverado"(aka "Bertstar Dwarf") is a named variety of L. Frustescens and would have the same hardiness range.

If you garden in a very sheltered location with protection from winter wind, and if the plants were planted in a very well drained spot, and if they were heavily mulched in late fall, and/or if temperatures stayed above 10 F this past winter, they may have survived but defoliated. If so, they will take a while to begin to grow, and you may also have to trim them back to remove winter-killed stems. But, I would not really expect them to have survived.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"