lavender plants - Knowledgebase Question

smithfield, RI
Question by mamabird13
I planted lavender last year & loved my plants. I see some green but very very little. Will they come back? I did not cut them back. Is that my problem? nancy

Some lavender types are more hardy than others so if yours doesn't look lush, it might be that it suffered through the winter months. Don't give up on it, though - new foliage is a good sign! Pruning a lavender to the point where it has no foliage will most likely kill it, so I prune mine back only in small increments. In spring, I cut the foliage back by one third to stimulate new growth. Then, after the new foliage has grown in, I cut that back by one third to stimulate new growth at the base of the plant. If new growth does break at the base of the plant, I prune the plant back to just above the new growth. So at this point, just lightly shear your plant. I hope you see lots of new growth in the next few weeks!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"