Cleveland Pair Tree tips turning brown - Knowledgebase Question

Midland City, AL
Question by cholland8383
I have a Cleveland Pair tree that has been planted for about 18 months about 10 ft tall that has just recently had new growth turning brown the limbs are changing color also turning black i've started removing the limbs that are affected but what else do i need to do to end this.

0

Chris,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That sounds like fire blight infection. This is primarily a spring problem and should not reappear this summer or fall. Prune out all dead shoots cutting back about 6 inches past the line between living and dead. Dip pruners in rubbing alcohol between cuts. Avoid adding fertilizer which increases vigor and promotes the disease.