poisonous plants - Knowledgebase Question

rock springs, wy
Avatar for maryalycekni
Question by maryalycekni
May 7, 2007
I was told that wisteria can be poisonous to pets and/or children if ingested.

Answer from NGA
May 7, 2007
According to the California Poison Control Center, wisteria rates a warning of Minor Toxicity: "Ingestion of these plants may cause minor illnesses such as vomiting or diarrhea. If ingested, call the Poison Control Center or your doctor."

According to the Cornell Poisonous Plants Informational Database, all parts of the plants are toxic to people.

According to the Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System, "ingesting one or two seeds can cause serious poisoning in a child."

I checked several veterinary references and did not find Wisteria listed there, however that does NOT necessarily mean it is not toxic to pets. You might want to check with your veterinarian as well, especially since it is toxic to people.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by adknative and is called "Baby Blue Eyes"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.