|Dear Whom It May Concern,|
I have some directions from the box of Fly Trap Friends, this is a picture of it on it's website: http://explo.stores.yahoo.net/...
Anyway the problem is... as you can see it says when you put the venus fly trap in the fridge for the time DO NOT put top on the planter, would it be okay if I put it in the butter spot of the refridgerator, because the butter spot in the fridge has a lid on it.
Another problem is... it says to use rainwater or distilled water, is it okay that I used drinking water I just bought some distilled water today should I use the distilled water for now on?
P.S., Thank You for reading my questions.
These are the Instructions I was talking about in the letter above!
Venus Fly Trap Planting Instructions
1. Pour soil into Terra Cotta planter
2. Add 1 tablespoon of distilled water and blend with soil
3. Press soil smooth
4. Place seeds on top, push into soil about a half inch and cover with soil
5. Add about ? a tablespoon of distilled water
6. Place in refrigerator WITHOUT TOP for 8 weeks, water once after 4 weeks
7. Place in refrigerator and add 1 tablespoon of distilled water be sure that soil is saturated
8. Screw clear terrarium lid into place
9. Place on windowsill with an eastern or southern exposure
10. Your Venus Fly Traps will start sprouting in one to three months
11. Be sure to keep the plant moist and leave the top on as long as possible
12. Visit the web site, www.flytrapfriends.com for additional information, including over-wintering
|This is an interesting question. I would think the butter compartment is okay to use. You could flip it open for just a second or two once a day to assure a little air exchange. (At my house I know that would be safer, less chance of spilling the seed container.) My concern is that it may dry out too much without any covering if stored in a modern, self defrosting refrigerator, but I would think the company would be giving you good directions for its product. I would really suggest you contact the company for more specific instructions where you are not sure. As far as the water goes, the reason for using distilled or rainwater is to avoid introducing chemicals into the closed environment, so definitely use the recommended kind from now on. Here is some more information about growing these from the carnivorous plant society you may find interesting. (Note that different types have different germination needs.)|
Good luck with your project!