IDENTIFY PEST - Knowledgebase Question

Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 5B)
Question by ronikala45
WHAT ARE THE RED & BLACK OVAL-BEETLE SHAPED BUGS IN AND AROUND MY PLANTS? THEY CAN FLY AND ARE ABOUT 1/2 INCH IN SIZE. I CANNOT FIND THEM IN ANY BUG BOOK...AND AM WONDERING IF THEY EAT THE LEAVES ON PLANTS. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

0

There are dozens and dozens of possibilities and your description is fairly sketchy. Does it have spots or stripes? Are the wings hard or soft? Does it resemble anything else you've seen in your garden? If you don't see the bugs actually sitting on a leaf or flower and eating it, they probably are just passing through and should not be of concern. If you can catch a couple and take them (in a plastic bag) to your local garden center, helpful folks there should be able to identify them. Wish I could be more help!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"