Cactus from seeds. - Knowledgebase Question

Woodbury, NJ
Question by phaidray
What could you tell me about the soil needed to sprout cactus seeds from. Also does Home Depot have such a product, or if needed the items I would need to get and how to mix???

0

Generally you would use a fast draining soil mix formulated for cacti, the same as you would plant the cactus in eventually. Alternatively you could use a soilless mix formulated for container plants with some clean coarse sand added. Based on my experience, I would spread a very thin layer of vermiculite on the soil surface before planting. This would help prevent the spread of disease during the germination process.

If your local store does not carry a cactus mix and you want to try this, you could mix your own based on the Cornell epiphytic mix recipe:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsh...

Good luck with your seeds!