landscaping with Mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Crofton, Md
Question by WALKERL71
I just purchased my first home and on the side and front of the house are areas of landscaping with old looking mulch and flowers growing from them. Can you tell me how to improve the look of these areas, what type of mulch is needed etc. I've never done gardening of any sort and need some assistance desperately.

Thanks in advance!

0

Sometimes just raking the mulch to fluff it up will refresh it and tidy the look. Mulch rots down over time and needs to be replenished periodically, if it looks thin after raking you may need to add more. Top it up as needed with additional organic material. You can mix different mulches, but organic mulch is best for your plantings. Try to maintain it at two to three inches thick year round. That should be deep enough to hold down weeds, moderate the soil temperature, and reduce watering needs as mulch is intended to do. I hope this answers your question.