Compost - Knowledgebase Question

circleville, Oh
Question by O7chewy
My father has a-lot of old horse manure can I use it as a compost with hay mixed in it, and will the soil need any thing else?I don't know how to make sure the soil is right.

0

Stable manure/bedding makes great compost. Be sure it is at least a year old and well composted before you use it in a garden. Along with that you could also add other materials if you have them such as autumn leaves or herbicide-free grass clippings to the compost. Run some basic soil tests to check what else you might need to add, such as fertilizer or lime. Your local county extension should be able to help you with the testing and interpreting the results.