Calcium Deficiency in Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Gettysbueg, PA
Question by s424480
I am a freshman at Gettysburg College and I am doing a report on calcium deficiencies in tomato plants. I was wondering if you could help to direct me as to information on this topic as there is very little information.

0

You'll probably find that most references to calcium deficiency in tomatoes refer to "blossom end rot". Rather than being caused by a disease, this symptom is caused by poor water relations. For example, if a dry spell is followed by a heavy rain, blossom end rot is a likely result. Gardeners try to keep soil moisture as even as possible--a thick layer of mulch sometimes does the trick.

The actual mechanism for blossom end rot involves calcium--check out some web sites for more information about the details of how calcium affects water relations in tomatoes. I searched the Web, using Infoseek, first using the word "calcium", then searching within that for "tomato", and finally searching those results for "deficiency". There were quite a few responses, so you might want to check them out. One of them was Colorado State's site:

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts...

I hope this is helpful.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"