? FUNGUS? - Knowledgebase Question

Coopersburg, PA
Question by thuy_bichvan
I HAVE THIS CORN PLANT (DRACAENA MASSANGEANA) FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW. STARTING 2 MONTHS AGO, I NOTICED MANY LITTLE WHITE FUR BALLS ON THE LEAVES, ESPECIALLY ON NEW LEAVES WHERE THEY JUST SPROUT OUT. I KEEP REMOVING THEM WITH WET PAPER TOWEL BUT THEY KEEP COMING BACK. I AM WORRIED. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.

0

Based on your description, I think this may be a mealybug problem rather than a fungus. They can be removed with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Be sure to check all surfaces of the plant, especially leaf undersides and leaf axils. Another control method, if the plant is small enough to handle, is to rinse it with a strong spray of tepid water once a week to dislodge them.