Bamboo - Knowledgebase Question

Petersburg, NY (Zone 5A)
Question by asillygrl92
I have bamboo that grows wild in my yard. I want to get rid of it but I don't know how to. I can't cut it down and move it because it regrows where I move it too and the shoots regrow from the original spot. Please help. I hate it. I need to get rid of it. Thanks

0

Based on your description I am not certain if you have a true bamboo or a similar plant called Japanese knotweed. Both can be controlled following the directions at the following web site for the knotweed. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alie...

However, with the bamboo, you may also have some success containing it by maintaining a mowed strip adjacent to the bamboo where the new shoots are never allowed to grow tall. Or, you might be able to install a root barrier to deflect it upward instead of continuing to spread. This makes it easier to remove the new growth to keep it from spreading. I hope this helps!