tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Jakin, GA (Zone 8B)
Question by freespirit41
How do I obtain/grow high acid tomatoes.The ones that taste like the old fashion tomatoes used to taste

0

Leonard,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Scientific tests indicate that the amount of acidity in all varieties of tomatoes is essentially the same. Some yellow fruited types may be a bit less acidic than most red types. Tomatoes that are perceived as tasting ?low-acid? simply have more sugar in them so they taste less acid. That is the sugar to acid balance is what determines whether a tomato tastes low acid or not. When tomato plants grow in stressful conditions or lack full sunlight or lose leaf area to disease their fruits will lack the sugars to have the mild, sweet taste you want, and will in fact taste more ?acidic?. Cherry tomatoes tend to be higher in both sugar and acid levels than larger fruited types.