Columbine Seed Starting - Knowledgebase Question

Hopewell, NJ
Question by dlw47
I just planted my Columbine seeds following the packet directions to cover them with 1/4 in. of soil. While flipping through your seed planting book, I discovered that Columbine seeds need light to germinate. Which is right, and did I just lose all my seeds by following directions?

0

Your seeds should germinate without problem. Usually seeds that need light to germinate are broadcast over the top of the soil and then pressed in with the back of your hand, or something flat. They need to be anchored in the soil so they don't floataround when the area is watered. Essentially, some soil will end up covering the seeds, but they won't be deeply buried. Covering your seed with 1/4 inch of soil won't stop them from germinating, and will help the plants get a foothold when they begin sending roots down into the soil.