Grasshoppers in Vegggie garden - Knowledgebase Question

Terrell, TX
Question by crewsky44
I have an abundance of what seems to be grasshoppers in my veggie garden.What can I do to get rid of them? They are eating the leaves from many of my plants. Thank you!

0

Patrick,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your best option is to cover the plants with a lightweight, spunbound polyester rowcover fabric or some type of fine netting. These will protect the plants from the grasshoppers. You could also try applying an insecticide to the leaves to kill the insects. However, treating the plants with pesticide may kill grasshoppers that eat leaves, but more will simply migrate in thus rendering that option not so effective in preventing damage.